Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The I'm Trying I Swear Prayer & Chreaster Claustrophobia


Despite the fact that A.J. is now home and our life is back to normal, I still am completely sleep deprived.  For good reason- holiday preparations and celebrations with the kiddos and fam.  This was a near perfect Easter.  Egg dying on Saturday at my sister’s house.  Watched “Hop” with our munchkins Saturday night and soon after they and I conked out on the couch, we moved them to their beds and I set about doing the bunny hop.  One of the best reasons to have children is for holidays.  And most holidays involve children getting candy thus parents end up with easy access to the stress relieving powers of chocolate.  And I have found that Reese’s peanut butter cup eggs go very well with coffee- especially when you have about six of them.  Okay maybe more, but I lost count. 
Sunday morning the kids popped up raring to go see what the Easter bunny had brought them and to do our little egg hunt in the living room.  After a candy-filled breakfast, we scurried to get ready for church.  Now this would be no problem if I had actually set shoes out the night before with the kids’ outfits, but of course I hadn’t and there was the usual I can’t find a darn pair to fit the kids, just throw everything around until I find any pair that will fit and look somewhat nice.  Add to this tornado, the running list in my head of items I needed to bring to my sister’s house which we were heading to straight after mass.  And when all hope of being on time is gone, I resort to the prayer I have been saying at least a couple times a week since becoming a parent(usually I am saying this while attempting to make it on time to church).  “I’m trying my best, God. I swear.” And “We’re doing our best.  Someday we will be on time.”  I imagine God to answer me with something like this: “No, Cami, you will probably never be on time, but keep trying” with a smug grin on His face- afterall He made meJ .  So after loading the kids and pretty much every item into the already overflowing Gray Goose, we headed to church leaving the house ten minutes after mass started.  Upon getting a block away, we saw a bunch of other cars heading into the church parking lot.  Could it be that there are other people as late as us?? Then I remembered something that our church does- they moved some of the mass times later than usual.  Sweet Jesus!  Yes, Virginia, there is an Easter Bunny!  We were on time for mass.  On Easter.  We actually got a place to stand in the back.  The last two years we have ended up pretty much outside in the courtyard for both Christmas and Easter masses. 
Hooray!  In every mom’s mind there is this perfect vision of every family member looking super cute and put together in their holiday best making it through mass with only minor interruptions to those around them.  All four kids in Easter outfits- check.  Somewhat occupied- check.  Josie had her Furr Real Bunny and the two middle boys had their Angry Birds which the Easter Bunny brought them and Bart was fast asleep in the stroller.  The older three did a great job for almost the first half of mass.  Then there was a quick descent to Jimmy lying on the floor first using his stuffed Angry Bird for a pillow then actually using the feet of the older gentleman who was standing next to us.  The guy had a great sense of humor about it though and said how cute the kids were.  Sawyer and Jimmy started whacking each other with their Angry Birds.  Then in addition to the gradual fading of my children’s self-control, more and more people filed into the lobby with us.  All of the Christmas/Easter(“Chreaster”) mass-goers.  Sawyer was squatting on the floor by me and began rubbing his hands up and down my leg most likely due to the fact that he was amazed at how smooth it was since I had actually shaved.  Finally A.J. waved the flag of defeat and offered to take the older three outside which should have been a fairly calm transition except that Jimmy refused to walk and made A.J. carry him and they took off with Josie weaving through the crowd to the doors, leaving me standing there helpless holding Bart who had by now woken up and Sawyer who was refusing to get up and starting to cry because he wanted me to hold him.   There I am holding the baby trying to politely bend down in my dress to also grab Sawyer, hoping no one is getting a nice flash of my underwear or untoned butt.   A woman right next to me offered to hold Bart so I could pick Sawyer up explaining that she herself had four kids, she had “been there”.  At first I hesitated, but then I gave in to help which is something I should do way more often.  A.J. came back and hoisted Sawyer away to the courtyard to play.  Leaving me alone with Baby Bart who was happy as long as I was holding him and bouncing him.  He has started to try to chew on anything and everything.  So he was now chewing on my shoulder, not a big deal until about five minutes later when I realized he had spit up the nice chunky cottage cheese-like baby spit up all the way down my arm.  I also realized that the man next to me must have definitely noticed this much sooner than I had.  Nothing like going from feeling somewhat pulled together and looking a touch classier than my usual attire of worn in jeans, t-shirts, and flip-flops to acknowledging that you have baby barf running down your arm.  And even better when you realize you have no burp cloth with you so you just use the baby’s taggly blankie to wipe it up. 
We made it through mass and both of us actually managed to get Communion.  We soaked in the beautiful sunshine as we made our way to the car.  Sawyer made an attempt to jump in front of a car that was going through the parking lot and A.J. grabbed him just in time.  Got to my sister Yvette’s and her husband Nick’s house where I made my peeps pose for some family photos since we were all decked out- not sure we even got one nice one, but what we got was real.  Spent the rest of Easter Sunday enjoying time and lots of food with the fam.  I even had a few moments here and there just to sit and be thankful for how great the day turned out.  Hoping your Easter was a “hoppy” one!







No comments:

Post a Comment