Sunday, April 22, 2012

Barn Shopping, Random Drives, & Dinosaur Land



So now that A.J. and I have decided we are going to have a multi-purpose mini barn built, we dedicated Saturday to driving out to one of the barn/shed sales places.  The closest one that was open on Saturday was an hour and half away.  Since we had already made this our main plan for the day, I wasn’t worried too much about time or anything until about 11:30 when we were still not out the door and A.J. told me that the place closed at 2:00P.M. on Saturdays.  When I had looked at the website I just quickly gleaned the hours 8-5, but that was Monday thru Friday.  As is typical in my life, I am never fully prepared and the Gray Goose was pretty much on empty.  Add to that, our hungry kids who we had promised drive-through goodness on the way.  To kill two birds with one stone, A.J. grabbed an assortment of chips and drinks when we stopped to get gas.  While we were at the gas station, I called the barn guy who informed me that even if the shop was closed, all of their barns and sheds were open  so that we could at least walk through them.
It was go time and A.J. and I debated the best route of the 3 suggested routes on my iPhone because everyone who lives in Northern Virginia knows that certain roads like 66 tend to be hell on Saturdays.  We went with option 3 of the routes.  Over the course of our life together, A.J. and I have always had a habit of taking random Saturday drives.  We did this a lot more when we were house hunting when Josie was the only kiddo around.  And we don’t take them too often anymore because really there is nothing too relaxing about driving around aimlessly with four kids who are strapped into their seats fighting to get free.  Spring is definitely a great time to take drives out towards the mountains in Virginia.  The weather, at least in the earlier part of the day yesterday, was beautiful.   We drove through a couple very quaint little towns and just as I commented to A.J. what a pretty state Virginia is, we both caught sight of a dilapidated trailor with a crumbled down house next to it.  Oh well…Somehow we overshot one of the roads- navigation systems are great if you know how to use them and if you don’t get sidetracked.  I personally blame it on Dinosaur Land which caused quite a stir in our car when the kids spied it in all its kitschy glory when we were stopped at a red light.
By some miracle, despite one bathroom stop and our detour a bit further west than necessary, we made it to the barn/shed shop with five minutes to spare before the owner was heading out.  This place was like heaven for my three older kids who had been cooped up in the car for over two hours at this point- picture a parking lot with a tiny shed(the main office) in the center surrounded in a crescent formation by about twenty or so other sheds and mini barns that were all unlocked and open for you to roam into and out of.  The gentleman who ran the place was so kind and stayed for almost an extra hour to humor this crazy couple and our four kids.  The kids’ excitement was contagious and as we looked around and explored these sheds and barns, I got even more and more excited that hopefully one of these big bad barns will be ours soon.  Climbing the stairs in the largest model(the one we are hoping to get), brought me back to many childhood memories in my grandpa’s barn in Connecticut.  His barn was much older than this obviously, but I remember climbing up to its second floor to explore with my dad and sisters and brother.  Not even sure my grandpa knew we were up there.  Anyways, the kooky artist in me really believes this barn has good karma and I can’t wait to get ours built!  It is funny because A.J. and I have been researching all different types of shed/sunroom options and while there are definitely more stylish ones out there, we keep coming back to a barn.
While I had this poor salesman cornered to answer all of my million and one questions, A.J. escaped to the port-o-let leaving me and kind salesman with my four goonies.  Oldest three decided to play with the large chunks of gravel.  Not a problem until Josie, my girl with a major league pitcher’s arm and a blind man’s aim, decided to beam a piece of gravel directly at the salesman who had one of the quickest reaction times I have ever seen and ducked as the gravel bounced hard off the shed directly behind us.  He later told me he used to be a state trooper in Maryland.  We made it through the remainder of the barn shopping experience without causing or sustaining any injuries. 
After stuffing down some fast food a town over, we made our way to the afternoon’s reward for good behavior: Dinosaur Land.  This place looks straight out of the fifties or sixties and was essentially a very large gift shop with an entrance to a large yard with about thirty or so enormous dinosaur replicas placed throughout.  Sadly, as soon as we got there, it started pouring rain.  We appeased the kids with toys from the gift shop and old-fashioned candy.  The older couple who ran the place were so friendly and patient with my munchkins.  I look forward to venturing back there for a full on dino exploration with the kids. 
I will end this post on a cheesy note because cheese is good and everyone can use some.  I will forever cherish the memories of this day with my husband and kids.  It had so many unexpected moments of fun and humor like passing a place called Gooney Creek Campground- we must go back.  Days like this one can’t be planned and they also can’t ever be forgotten.  They are the best kind of days.  Random drives together as a family.




No comments:

Post a Comment