Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day One Done & the Moldy Goose


Calling it a day finally.  Once the morning comes, we will be one night closer to A.J. being back home.  Despite my best efforts to exhaust the children on my own by taking them outside for a long time today, they did not pass out on the couch by 8P.M. as planned in my mind.  In fact I am still trying to get Sawyer to give in to the sandman and close his eyes for the night.  Three down so as long as Sawyer stays quiet I don’t care.  A.J. left for the airport at 4A.M. and instantly I went into survival mode.  I actually managed to take a shower late this morning while the baby napped and the other three toned down on their beat downs of each other.  A friend stopped in very briefly to drop off some hand me downs for Jimmy.  I had to restrain myself from jumping in the passenger side of her car and telling her to gun it before the kids realized we were gone. But all in all it was not that bad of a day.  Well not that bad in my mind until my husband picked the perfect time to call me this afternoon and tell me about how neat it is to be surrounded by the snow-capped Rocky Mountains or how he and his coworker were probably going to grab a couple drinks with a friend of the coworker who lives out in Denver.   My day in a nutshell can best be described by this chunk of the afternoon.  Sawyer was finally down for a nap.  I took the other three outside with me to clean out the inside of the Gray Goose.  The urgency of this was due to the fact that on Friday when I was rummaging in my car for something, I found mold growing in the Goose in two specific areas.  One area was the floor by where Josie had puked on our way to Connecticut.  I had doused the area with all sorts of cleaning products right after she got sick, but apparently the moisture along with the general funkiness of my minivan provided the perfect host for the mold to feed on.  Then I found a nice patch of the funky fuzz growing on the floor under the middle console between my two front seats.  Not sure what was spilled there to create such a fine garden of mold, but I am guessing it was either coffee or one of those vanilla milk boxes, most likely the latter.  So I opened all the van doors to air it out as much as possible, made the rounds with trash bags and then went in for the kill with the bleach spray and cleaning wipes.  Bart was secured in Sawyer’s car seat since it is forward facing and I figured that might keep him more content than the infant bucket seat.  The oldest two were intermittently making attempts to dash closer to the street while I screamed all sorts of threats at them. They then decided to explore the car and Josie climbed up high on top of the hood while Jimmy thought it would be fun to honk the horn over and over.   They finally cooperated and stayed within the safety zone, but then began playing with random objects they found in the trunk space of the van.  Jimmy found a back scratcher and began to “scratch” the side of the van.  It was difficult keeping a straight face as I yelled at him to stop because the whole thing was so absurd- the most absurd thing was caring that anything else scraped my already mangled Gray Goose.  So now the smell of the inside of my van evokes many childhood memories of winter swim team and I am trying to remember to allow it to air out some more in the morning before I load all of the kids and they pass out from the fumes.  Why would I want to be away all by myself on some business trip to Denver when I could be home having this much fun?!

No comments:

Post a Comment