Thursday, March 1, 2012

Wednesday Evening Walks through Walgreens


By the time I ended up wandering the aisles of Walgreens this evening, I was done.  Done from a crazy exhausting week and really just done from a wacky and weird Wednesday.  My morning started out with the usual buckets of coffee, extra for the dreary weather we are having and some bonding time with my boys.  And as usual all hell manages to break loose five minutes before I am supposed to be leaving the house to teach.  I was gathering my many art bags together to load into the car when A.J. called and asked if everything was o.k.  I was thinking he was referring to the multiple texts and emails I left him asking if he needed me to make hotel reservations for this weekend when we go to Connecticut for his grandmother’s funeral.  I just thought he hadn’t bothered to read them though there was more urgency in his voice.  He then told me that he had received an alert for our county about police investigating a “suspicious device” on OUR street.  I run around like a lunatic to all the windows and sure enough, nothing.  No flashing lights, no sirens.  Before I can finish talking to him, my cell phone rings.  A close friend who also got the alert whose kids happen to be down the street at the same preschool Jimmy goes to.  I am silently thankful Jimmy is only in the two day program and it is one of his days off.  This friend hasn’t heard anything from the school. Friend is also relieved to confirm that it was not anything caused by my wild boysJ  We agree to keep each other posted.  I barely hang up the phone when another friend calls who had also gotten the alert.  And all the while all I can think is how my mother-in-law is on her way here and will surely see something and freak out.  The woman is a wonderful grandmother, but does have a bit of a “worrier” in her.  And this is the morning she watches the boys.  She arrives and tells me that our street is blocked at the other end.  We are in an older neighborhood with houses that are more spread out and our street makes a large u and intersects with a couple of the other main streets in the neighborhood.  As I load my car, my mother-in-law locks the door behind me each trip I make.  She asks what she should do if she sees anything strange and I say call the police of course.  As I head out of my neighborhood I pass the police blockade, but can not get an answer as to what is going on due to the pouring rain.   I go to pick up one of the little girls in my class who rides with me each week.  While she is getting in my car, I hear sirens from the fire station that is by her house, the same fire station that covers my neighborhood.  Make a couple more frantic calls and no one has heard anything.  Oh well, off to class we go. 
Arrive to the house I am teaching at today and decompress by telling this entire crazy saga to the mother whose house it is.  I don’t think I could sound any crazier.  Class goes well and thankfully I do not receive any more calls of panic from family or friends.  After class I drop the little girl off at her house and Bart and I head to pick up A.J.’s suits from the drycleaners.  Bart is snuggled up inside his infant car seat which has one of those fabric zip up covers over the whole thing with only a cut out area for his head.  I park his seat down by the counter with him facing me.  Give the woman my phone number so she can retrieve our clothes.  Only thing is this woman keeps peeking over the counter.  I thought she was just trying to catch a glimpse of the baby until she asks me to put it on the counter.  Then I realize that she thinks I am dropping clothes off and that Bart in his seat is actually a sack of clothes.  I laugh and explain that it is the baby and that I am “picking up”.  Now if it had been Sawyer with me, I might have seriously considered leaving him to be cleaned.  Afterall he has been nicknamed “Pigpen” by my sister. 
The afternoon concludes with me and the boys and the dog picking Josie up from school and heading to my parents.  We had to drop the dog off for the weekend since we are leaving tomorrow and we ended up staying for dinner.  After dinner, mom kept the kids so I could run to Walgreens to grab some makeup and other random items I needed.  Walgreens and really any store for a mom when she does not have any kids with her can become a really strange abyss of information overload and way too many choices.  Normally I have at least two kids in tow and decisions on makeup or shampoo or hair coloring are made as quickly as possible based somewhat on price, but more often than not based on brands I am already familiar with.  Decisions also are made in haste due to whatever dangerous situations one of the kids is putting him or herself into.  There is not much room for browsing.  Tonight, however, I could browse all by myself.  I think I may have finally gotten the correct shade of foundation, but probably won’t even use it.  And as so often happens, I get so overwhelmed with all the choices and the list in my head of what I need and the ongoing list in the back of my head of items that I will buy when I have the time i.e. when no children are with me.  The fluorescent lights, the long day, the cranky mood all are not helping me to be very productive or efficient at all.  And the cranky mood was also not helped by the random awkward guy who kept managing to be in my way whichever aisle I went to and then stood way too close when I was checking out.  Dude, I had all sorts of spicy Chinese food for dinner and no after dinner mints, step back!!
Bart wailed for the half hour ride from my parents’ house back to our house.  This can not be a good sign for our easily eight to nine hour car ride to Connecticut tomorrow with all of us crammed in the Gray Goose. We got home and A.J. tells me that Connecticut is supposed to be getting six to eight inches of snow on Saturday, the day of Grandma’s funeral and graveside service.  Pack the sleds and shovels, kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment