Friday, January 27, 2012

Werewolf Zombie Dogs, Boxing Matches in the Living Room & Monkey's Birthday


Happy 6th Birthday to my sweet little “Monkey” Josie!  I am so thankful to God for giving you to us and every day you make me more and more proud to be your mommy!
Conveniently, Josie and all of her cousins had the day off of school today which meant last night was the perfect opportunity for the cousins’ sleepover which I have been promising to Josie for months.  I was able to buy some time once Bart arrived and we were adjusting to being a family of 7(gotta count the dog!) and to having an infant in the house again.  But it was now time to suck it up and deliver on my promise.  On my side of the family there are 14 grandchildren ranging in age from Bart(almost 3 months) to my oldest nephew who is almost 13.  Since we all live within a half hour of each other, the kids have grown up seeing their cousins at least once if not several times a week. Due to this cousin closeness, they are almost like siblings in terms of their comfort level with each other.  I envy them that they have this unique little cohort to grow up in since my cousins on my dad’s side lived eight hours from us and we would only see them once a year and my cousins on my mom’s side were older than me. 
So back to the cousins’ sleepover- the troops descended upon the house with my mom, sister Nikki, and sister-in-law Lindsey in the early evening to have pizza and cake.  Unfortunately, my oldest niece was sick so she couldn’t make it and my sister Yvette stayed home with her and two of her younger kids.  I had specifically asked A.J. to bring the cake home in very simple terms in my text:  “Can you pls pick up cake on yr way home?”.   Within the first hour of the kids’ arrival, the chaos sets in which isn’t difficult with this many children in a small amount of space, but at least they are contained this way.  The kids are running back and forth from our basement to Josie’s and Jimmy’s bedroom which is now even more enticing to them as we just got bunk beds.  All of them are armed with Jimmy’s artillery which he received for his birthday and Christmas.  Birthday girl starts to have a meltdown as about five of the little militants are camping out on the top bunk(her bed) and she does not want them there.  I manage to get the crisis calmed and within a couple minutes the kids are yelling because Josie is barricading her door now and won’t let them in.  I pry her from the doorway, explaining that she wanted her cousins to come over, but she starts melting down even more and locks herself in our bathroom.  Nothing I try to say at the moment in my nicest most patient mommy voice persuades her to open the door so I go for the big guns, a steak knife and a butter knife.  No, I wasn’t planning on killing the birthday girl, just getting her out of the bathroom and our old house has the old school locks and we long ago lost the little tool that you can use to unlock them.  Thus my knife system is employed on a fairly regular basis.  Don’t be surprised if when you come to my house, the butter knife looks a bit bent and crooked.  Nana(my mom) helps perk up the birthday girl and things begin running a bit smoother.
A.J.  arrives home and the birthday girl convinces him to let her open her presents a day early.  And we all know that opening them means literally opening every single present, not just from the wrapping paper, but then from its packaging.  And the older your  children get, the tinier the pieces get to any gift they receive.  Cake time- after doing flybys of the children who are upstairs and those in the basement, I go to the kitchen to get the cake set up only to discover that my helpful husband has not actually bought a cake, he bought cake mix and icing.  Deep breaths, go to where he has escaped to and ask him what happened and he thought I wanted the cake mix for when I made the cake for her big birthday party with her cousins and the girls from her class.  Because I am feeling antagonistic by this point, I actually show him the text, ask what was confusing about it.  He mumbles something about a conversation we had on Monday about me making the cake for her party…”No cake tonight, kids!”  They seem to care less even my little drama queen Josie.  My mom, sister, and sister-in-law leave with the littler cousins and A.J. and I are left with 8.  Then the entertainment begins.  My two older kids decide it will be fun to show their cousins our apple t.v.- so they can show them videos they have taken on the ipods on our big t.v.  First up comes a pleasant video Josie took of my butt when I was packing up our things in the hotel room last week and I had no idea about it…In the hotel she kept telling me to come see something.  I kept putting her off since I was scrambling to get everyone’s stuff together before checkout time.  Then  A.J. said “I think you’ll want to see this”. Yep, there on her iPod was a 30 second stretch of my butt in red corduroys.  Just what every woman wants to see when they are a couple months out from having a baby.   But I will be a good sport and am happy to be “the butt” of their jokes if it keeps them occupied…
The night winds down and “Dolphin Tale” soothes them all to sleep.  Thanks to Baby Bart for waking me at 5:30 for a little bonding time over breastfeeding and nebs.  And just as I am getting back to sleep, I hear the girl contingent giggling and waking the boys up.  Awesome!  The morning is filled with lots of chocolate donuts- sadly none for non-dairy me, lots of coffee, and the antics of my kids and nieces and nephews.  Santa’s brilliant gift of three pairs of boxing gloves(thank you, A.J.) provides the perfect tools for boxing matches in our living room between Jimmy and his older boy cousins.  One of my nieces joins in too.  I chug coffee after coffee listening to the random games these kids make up “We’re being werewolf zombie dogs”.   I finally feel that things are quiet enough to lock myself in the bathroom to shower and bring the sleeping baby in his bouncy seat with me.  As I shut the door, I hear the tune of “Safety Dance” with a whole new set of lyrics thanks to my creative nephew “We can fart if we want to…” 
As I mentally wind down in the shower, I remind myself that I need to enjoy the moments of the day.  It is not every day that my daughter turns six and if I can’t beat them, I might as well join them.  An all time favorite quote of mine from “Ferris Bueller” pops in my head: “Life moves pretty fast.  If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it”.

No comments:

Post a Comment