Friday, May 4, 2012

Gophers & Candy Canes


This one’s for H.G.;)
(Disclaimer: No Baby Barts were harmed in the making of this blog)
It has been the kind of week where I feel like there has been a full moon gazing over me the whole time chuckling. Not necessarily bad, just crazy. This would explain why there are currently six two foot tall candy cane decorations and a singing gopher(think "Caddyshack") in our living room and earlier there was a horse on our dining room table. Not a real horse of course, but an American Girl sized Target brand knock off horse of Josie's that Sawyer likes to ride around on occasion.  I had put it on the table so that I'd stop tripping over it. Jimmy figured out how to unwind the sparkly red rope from around one of the candy canes and entertained himself for a good hour this morning by fishing with it off the couch. This week I also added some new phrases into my mom dictionary: "Sawyer, stop sticking that to the wall and eat it!”  The "that" and "it" to which I was referring - a slice of cheese from dinner.  Then there was: "Sawyer, quit sharing your frozen yogurt with the dog!" though for all intense purposes, he was at least sharing and that right there is progress. As usual, it should come as no surprise that most of these random statements are directed at Sawyer. 
After a day with the boys that was both productive in ways and totally painfully unproductive(laundry-I’m over it already) in other ways, we headed to pick Josie up at school.  Now that the weather is shaping up, I take the boys out of the car, therefore unstrap all three of them from their carseats and boosters to walk across the lines of cars to get Josie from her class’s line(this is required for all the younger grades).  While this is a real pain in the neck logistically, the boys consider it quite a treat.  A friend whose car was next to ours helped me out by carrying Bart for me.  We chitchatted and said hi to other parents as we both waited for the kindergarteners.  I wrangled Sawyer and Jimmy off the bumper of a complete stranger’s car which they had become enamored of.  Finally Josie’s class came out- last as usual and she was one of the last kiddos in the line.  Teachers who were clearly working for the weekend began to hustle students and parents to get into their cars so the lines could start filing out.  I hurried my oldest three along zigzagging through the parking lot as we were in one of the furthest lines of minivans.  Almost to the car, I realized I had just left Bart in my friend’s arms as she was getting her son.  I turned around and couldn’t see her anywhere.  Then looked to her car and she wasn’t back at it yet.  I practically threw my older three inside our van as a teacher asked me if I needed help because clearly this looked like a disaster and just as I started to say that I needed to get my baby from my friend, this teacher said: “Oh, there’s another one!” and laughed as I scooped Bart out of my friend’s arms.  Now I understand why women in other cultures just strap their babies to them in those baby wraps…What a way to end the week!




1 comment:

  1. Ha! I don't even have 4 kids but I wear Becca all the time. Much easier to not have to worry about what she's up to while I hold hands or whatever with the other two. And on occasion it's made for easy nursing-on-the-go.

    ReplyDelete