Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Fighting a February Funk


It’s been that kind of day.  Turned the alarm off so we could catch some extra zzzzzzs, reassured by A.J. that he had his alarm set to go off a short while later.  His alarm never went off, but thankfully he woke up with just enough time to do one of those frantic rushed routines where you make it out the door just in time.  Only these days, he has to make it out the door with our Monkey in tow.  She did her part to get ready in a hurry.  Despite downing a half a pot of coffee, I never felt like I woke up this morning and was feeling a bit grumpy about having to go teach a class.  The overcast snow heavy-looking sky did nothing to improve my mood.  My mother-in-law was late and waltzed in with her Starbucks coffee and newspaper which only added to my grouchiness.  Unfortunately you can not complain when the daycare is free.  Get a text from A.J. to call him as soon as I get a chance, just as I am getting to the house where I will be teaching my little group of homeschoolers today.  Call him and find out that they have put his grandmother on hospice. Blah!  Try to push sad thoughts from my mind and heart and focus on the group of girls and complementary colors.  Arrive back at home to my mother-in-law, Sawyer, and Jimmy.  Mother-in-law does something later that makes Jimmy cry- not really her fault just that he has been overly sensitive as of late.  Later I head out to warm the car up before we have to leave to get Josie.  I come back into the house to Jimmy crying and my mother-in-law comforting him and of course Sawyer grinning his wicked smile.  Sawyer had hit Jimmy with one of the wooden blocks they had been playing with.  We hustle to get out the door to get Josie and this is when I see the actual injury- it looks as if there is a mini donut under the skin on Jimmy’s forehead, a donut that is now turning purple. Sawyer must have beamed the block right smack in the middle of Jimmy’s forehead, pretty much directly between his eyebrows.  I knew an injury of this sort was coming soon as Sawyer’s favorite thing to do with them is to hurl them through the air or knock towers of them over.   Apparently, when “Mrs. Claus” picked these cool blocks out to give Sawyer at Christmas, she was blinded by the nostalgia of the blocks and did not think through to all the injuries that they would bring.  Grab an icepack from the freezer and wrap it in a towel and convince Jimmy it will help him feel better.
We pick Josie up and I am determined to pull myself out of this funk.  So on our way home, I decide to take the kids past “the Crazy Christmas House” which is actually now “the Crazy Valentine’s House” and has at other times been “the Crazy Fourth of July House”, “the Crazy Halloween House”, and so on.  I have never met these neighbors, or even gotten a glimpse of them, yet we stalk their house.  Each and every holiday known to all you Hallmarkers, these people cover every inch of their yard, every tree, every shrub, every shutter, every doorway with decorations and lights a plenty.  It is tacky and gaudy and crazy and AWESOME!!  When my kids get a bit bigger, this is my goal to go all out for every holiday.  These neighbors have no idea how happy they make my kiddos and me.  Okay starting to feel a little better.  Continue operation funk away.  Call sisters and mom to chit chat.  My sister Nikki says she is a fellow funkette when I tell her I am just in a funk this week.  Ah someone to wallow with!  My sister Yvette talks about all the wine she bought at Trader Joe’s for her book club and how she’s pretty sure they won’t drink all of it so we will have plenty left for her and me when the whole family heads to Deep Creek Lake next week.  Watch the snow falling and it finally reaches that pretty point where the flakes are huge and fall in a sort of dance.  Still wishing for a snow day that we won’t be getting and my sister and I remind ourselves that while a snow day would be nice, it would require us to deal with suiting up the kids over and over to go out and play in it.  Boy, am I a grump or what?!
I accept that maybe I just need to let myself feel this funk.  And of course, the evening plays into it as well.  My six year old drama queen has a major meltdown and manages to land herself in her room not once, not twice, but three times in about the span of an hour and a half.  Sawyer and Jimmy continue their scuba dives in the tub.  It is a miracle the floods have not caused our 50 plus year old floor to cave in through to the basement. 
House slowly quiets down except for tonight’s noise from the noise machine- the jungle.  I futz around on the internet, find some cool mid-century modern couches on Craigslist that would look so cool in my living room despite the fact that they require a couple thousand dollars in cash.  Remind myself that the beat up leather sectional we got for a steal on Craigslist last year is perfect for the messiness of my little monsters and the muddy paws of my pooch.  Decide to blog to clear my head. 
Thanks for humoring me by reading my posts- it feels good to have people to relate to the everyday ordinariness of lifeJ

No comments:

Post a Comment